Teamwork Is the Key to Good Orthodontic Care
Brushing and flossing is the most effective means of combating the biggest enemy of your teeth-plaque-according to the American Association of Orthodontists.
Dr. Joseph Oppenheimer, a member of the organization which represents dental professionals nationally, said “by actively taking part in your treatment, you and your orthodontist will develop a mutual confidence, and together you’ll advance, step-by-step, towards your ultimate goal: a beautiful, healthy smile.”
Dr. Oppenheimer recommends the following brushing techniques:
Hold the brush at an angle and press firmly against the teeth, flexing the bristles.
Move the brush in small circles, cleaning the tooth surfaces.
- Brush above the archwire and below it.
- Brush the backside and chewing surfaces of all your teeth.
When it comes to flossing, Dr. Oppenheimer suggests:
- Slide the floss gently between the teeth.
- Avoid snapping the floss through a tight space.
- Rub the floss up and down the sides of each tooth.
- Do not use a shoeshine or see-saw motion.